Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Platinum Wedding Using Your Budget!

We have all seen the many television programs that showcase the celebrity and non-celebrity platinum weddings.  I love them; I get ideas and I play a guessing game on how much everything cost.  

They are fabulous, magnificent, gorgeous, over the top, and they are expensive.  Based on my years of experience, I love that many of my brides have those same lovely ideas, however, they do not have the same lovely money.  So, being the planner that I am I have to create those weddings on your budget.  Let's get started.

How Do You Calculate Your Budget:  In the beginning I had no clue.  I just took the budget of the couple and did everything in my power to make it work although I soon realized, more often than not, they always went a little over budget.  After speaking with a few finance experts we came up with a great calculation to help my couples with a realistic budget.  Follow this formula: Guests count =125, adding to zeros =12500, then add half that amount 12500 + 6250 = $18750 which is your starting budget.  

Location of Ceremony/Reception Venue:  This should be the first thing you do with your budget.  Based on the feel and look that you are going for your planner should immediately know which venues are not in your budget.  Depending whether or not you live in a big city or small township hotels may not be the venue for you.  Most often you have to use their caterer, then adding the taxes and gratuity you can easily use up more than half your budget.  I'm sure your planner can check his/her vendor list and suggest places that probably do not advertise, or are really low key on the rector scale but turns out to be very beautiful and just what you ordered. Affordable and beautiful venues are out there they just don't advertise on the popular wedding sites or magazines.    

Planner:  My minimum fee is $1500.  Depending on what you contract me for it can easily go up to the maximum of $3500.  However, contracting me comes with my relationships with other vendors.  These relationships help you when you have a limited budget; it helps me because I want the best for my clients.  Remember, it's not the coordinating on the day of, it's the entire experience that your planner brings.  Having someone that is level headed and can handle any situation while you, your fiance, family, and guests enjoy themselves is worth their weight in gold.  Whichever planner you choose and whichever service he/she offers it will be worth the investment and savings for your budget.

Photography:  Pricing in this area can have a big range.  This is not an area you want to skimp on.  You only get to capture these moments once so you want to make sure your photographer knows what they are doing.  Many photographers have a basic package which can start anywhere from $900 to $1500.  From there you have the add-ons.  Make sure you inquire if they can be added on later.  Unless the add-ons are a must have you can always add this right after the wedding.  Also look for packages that have the add ons you want included. Do the math; if its less expensive to do later by all means wait.  Always start with the basic package and discuss with your fiance if you really need the extras.  

DJ/Band:  This area is important because you want to make sure you and your guests are having a good time.  Again, these prices can range from $300 to $3000 so how do you choose.  Go to the bridal shows, ask friends, when you attend different events and you like the way the music is going ask for business cards.  No vendor worth it's weight in salt will not have business cards on them.  When I interview dj's and bands I make sure I talk to the person in charge.  I try to attend an event/wedding where the dj/band will be playing.  Check out how they are dressed, how they address the crowd, what type of music is played.  There are great dj's for $600 or less, I just have to do my research as do you.

Bakery:  Next on your list should be your cake.  Many couples are opting out for cupcakes which are great.  When using fondant icing know that you definitely pay more.  I've had some brides have a small cake made for the couple to cut and have a sheet cake in the kitchen for the guests; this will save a nice chunk of change.

Decor:  When you add up all your savings from the above items the balance of your dollars will be used for decor and florals.  If you are a DIY bride it's okay to enlist the help of friends, family, and bridal party to help with the decor.  Just do not plan on using them the day of the wedding. invest some of the money and let your planner hire a crew to put everything in place.  Definitely consult with your planner.  He/She knows all the good places to purchase wholesale or her relationships will come in handy and you can now afford to hire a professional decorator to give you that platinum look on a shoestring budget.   

Happy Budgeting.

Now, Let's Get Inspired!  Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...